Friday, August 29, 2008

Who?



Oh politics, how you keep sucking me back in. In the past few months I grown quite bored with politics. It just seemed so silly, so petty, so negative. I'd dug a hole and stuck my head in. I even grew weary of Obama and every time I heard Hillary or McCain talk I just wanted to move someplace else. But now, with the conventions finally upon us, I'm going to pay a little more attention. Until, of course, I get totally disgusted by the whole thing and plan my escape to Spain.

When Obama chose Biden I sort of shrugged and said "He looks old and white" and went back to the Olympics. My friend reminded me that it was Biden who said the great line "All of Rudy Guliani sentences sound exactly the same: noun+ verb+ 9/11" and I chuckled to myself and though, "well, maybe this guy isn't so bad".

I felt pretty inspired when I heard snippets of Obama's speech the other night and thought, wow, i never though we would nominate an african american person and I, like Michelle Obama, felt really proud of America.

When I heard that McCain picked Sarah Palin I thought "Really?". See, oddly enough I actually know who Sarah Palin is. I met her when I worked for the National Governors Association and she seemed really nice and wore the same clothes everytime I saw her over the course of a 5 day conference. She had kind of a rat's nest on the top of her head and her glasses were perpetually crooked on her face. She was nice but well, she didn't really seem ready for prime time. Especially compared to Tim Pawlenty or Linda Lingle.

She's been in the news this summer in relation to the Ted Steven's indictment. Oddly enough, she was kind of the hero of the story since she had run for governor against his republican machine and apparently really pissed him off. It was quickly uncovered that she too was under investigation for allegedly firing her sister's allegedly abusive exhusband, who was/is a high level official in the state police. Now, as a sister, I totally support the firing of d-bag abusive exhusbands, but well, its still not very ethical.

She also have 5 kids, the youngest is only a few months old (and may I say she looks great). She apparently was back at work, with the baby in tow, a few days after giving birth. While I suppose the process is easier after 4 kids, that seems pretty rough on the body.

So maybe I like her? She stood up to Ted Stevens and his band of merry thugs, lives by her principals (she has a child with down's syndrome and is pro-life), and seems pretty hardcore. If she really is all of those things and the Rs manage to really play up those aspects of her personality then she adds a lot to the ticket. Cause personality (and a pair of boobies) is really all she brings to the table.

I'm pretty excited that we're going to get either a black man or a woman in the white house. I'm not sure how excited I am by their significant others but it should be interesting.

No comments: