Saturday, August 23, 2008

Music Stuff

Link to the Sound Check Story with links to all of the music

I know very little about music and even more about "cool" or "popular" music. I had a very embarrassing experience in 8th grade when I boy I liked asked me my favorite CD and I said "the big chill" (even though it was Tracy Chapman). He never talked to me again since he was very cool and I was no longer cool. I have a nice selection of music that I occasionally add to and my husband loves to find new music so I don't want to suggest that nothing penetrates my skull, but its pretty rare.

My tastes run solidly through the guy/girl with guitar land with a streak of anything that I can sing along to in the car which includes a lot of 80's music. So basically I still play my CDs from high school and my husband picks stuff for me to listen to on his iPod.

But, just as I was thinking I needed some new music, Sound Check, a music show on NPR, did a whole show on emerging artists in the indie pop/alt rock vein. Some of them are known to me (Bon Iver), others are multiplatnium in other countries, and others are well known to anyone who knows anything about music and doesn't live in a musical hermitage like me.

The link above should bring you to the sound check episode and within that there is a link to the magazine where the story came from. You can hear snippets of songs from each of the artists. Enjoy!

No comments: