Sunday, August 24, 2008

OLS Week 12


Eek! Where did the summer go? I always get a bit blue when the end of August rolls around. It's always no more lazy afternoons reading in the shade or sailing at the beach and for many years it meant the dreaded back to school terror. As an adult, it means another birthday and a few weeks of peace and quiet at work while everyone is away. This year, with OLS, it means tons of tomatoes, corn, and peaches! I've never been as away of the seasonality of food as I am this summer.

This week I had a lot of local meals ranging from dinner at my best friend's place to my birthday feast. Dinner at my friends was one of the simplest most delicious meals I've ever had. Zucchini salad, corn, peach cobbler, and some spicy chicken sausage. I had a delicious lunch of yogurt "crack cakes" pancakes that I adapted from another OLS participant. Last night we had a nice dinner straight from the farmer's market of salad, spicy turkey sausage and roasted beets.

Tonight is the first of my birthday dinners. I say dinners because I have never liked parties and everyone seems to compensate by taking me out for meals for an entire week. It's not a bad compromise. Tonight we're having dinner at my step-mom's with all of the kids (and my nephew!!! and maybe the dog!!!) and I insisted on bringing as much of the fresh produce as possible. I wanted to ensure that the ingredients were local and the best we could find. My step-mom thought I was a bit weird but gave in since it's my birthday. Oddly enough, she shops almost exclusively at farm stands that sell the best produce around. So, my insistence to have a local meal probably meant that our food traveled more miles that necessary. Such is life.

No comments: