Friday, August 29, 2008

DFL

CLick Here For the Original Post on www.thekitchn.com

I haven't come in last since running cross country in high school. When you came in last you got the title of "DFL" Dead F%$#ing Last and often wore it with pride. Back then I had an excuse, my knee would go, I was totally exausted after a night of cross country partying, it was hot, I was sweaty, the list is endless. But for my latest DFL, I have no real excuse.

I entered an ice cream contest hosted by www.thekitchn.com. They have a great blog associated with Apartment Therapy and most of the recipies and commentary are in line with how I like to eat. Now I make a lot of different ice cream recipies, spicy coffee, beer and chocolate, to name a few, but I wanted to make something super fancy for this because, you know, its super fancy. I entered my peach goat cheese ice cream from a few weeks ago and thought it would do pretty well stacked up against such simple flavors as "sugar plum" and blueberry basil.

I was wrong. See for yourself by clicking the link above. While most of the ice creames were solidly on the I like this/I want more end of the spectrum, mine was pretty universally hated. It is probably the lowest score by a really large margin. So what went wrong? Was it my short description? Bad recipe? Silly pictures? Who knows. My mom said that it was the goat cheese and Adam agreed.

I blame the troglodytes palets and simpleton's tastes... Honestly, the flavor was good and I encourage anyone to try the fruit/cream/balsamic combo- its very unexpected, but in a good way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should check out www.smittenkitchen.com Written by a former colleague of mine who happens to be married to a guy from our hometown.

As for DFL...hey, you went out on a limb. Guess there aren't a lot of goat cheese lovers out there.

Unknown said...

It tasted good after 3 mojitos and 4 glasses of wine!