Saturday, August 9, 2008

Last Dance







When my dad died he wanted me to have all of his camera equipment. While we shared a love of photography I hadn't made the switch to digital and he buried himself in it. He always had a camera covering half his face and became an exceptional photographer over the past few years.

As I unpacked the equipment (it filled the trunk of my car and then some) I knew that I would eventually have to face up to the pictures that remained in the camera he purchased last November. As I downloaded them I felt like a bit of a voyeur since some many of his shots were of everyday life at his house. The deer, cats, flower, lots of turkeys, and pictures of the family. His love of us somehow comes out in the pictures and while we always got annoyed at the constant flashbulb, we have total documentation of our lives.

Oddly enough, these are some of his worst pictures. His newness with the camera is apparent as he experimented with the settings while taking the same shot and you can see his lack of control over the lighting and tones.

The last photos of him, taken Mother's Day, reveal how sick he was even before his diagnosis. And his last shot, of my step-mom with the baby, give a little glimpse our future.

No comments: