Tuesday, August 12, 2008

When the Cat's Away...


Peter is working late tonight so I decided to settle in for some olympics, beer, and yogurt pancakes that I saw on OLS. So I've settled and am waiting for more Olympic action and enjoying my yogurt pancakes.


My husband often wants pancakes on the weekend and I am never really that excited about them. To me they are all carb and have no staying power and are therefore totally useless food. Given that I'm Ms. Sensitive to Everything (that's Dr. Sensitive to you), I can eat and enjoy a stack of pancakes, fall asleep, and wake up a half an hour bloated and hungry. So, well, I'm usually a bit unenthused about making them. These on the other hand seem a touch more healthy with a little bit more protein and more taste.

I found the recipe after reading this week's One Local Summer entries for Week 10. OLS is a group of people who have decided to make one local meal a week. There are regional coordinators who colate everyone's posts and then post them on www.farmtophllly.com. It is a great way to read about people's local food shed and to dream about owning a farm with some nice chickens, goats, dogs, and all the DIY projects you could dream about. So here are Melinda's Yogert Pancakes, that are so addictive to young children.

PS- I made some extra Peter, they'll be in the freezer.

Melinda's Yogurt Pancakes
Original Recipe Here
Makes 8 large pancakes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes

1/2 Cup All- Purpose Flour (King Arthur's in VT)
1.5 T Sugar
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
2 Large Eggs (Fairway Organic from Lancaster PA)
1 cup low-fat yogurt (Bonnybrook Farms, NY)
1/2 cup water
1 t vanilla (if you're going to import, get the good stuff)
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1 t honey (farmers' market)
Butter for the pan (Bonnybrook Farms NY)

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Mix all of the wet ingredients in small bowl. Combine and whisk until blended. I added the water as needed to get the right consistency. I heated the non-stick to medium and added a bit of butter before each pancake went in.

I also ate a peach and lettuce salad with my homemade vinnegrette from Saturday's meal. If I had any peaches left I probably would have made a peach pie filling and a balsamic reduction to go on top. The salad was damn good though.

One note on the Olympics: is it wrong to find beach volleyball so.freaking.boring?

No comments: