Thursday, August 28, 2008

Totally Silly Fun!

I'm kind of a cranky, judgmental person. Perhaps the nice way to say it is that I'm critical (come on I'm a Virgo!). I sort of don't have a heart and most of the time the first thing out of my mouth is some sort of criticism and the last thing out of my mouth will make you think I really hate it. So maybe I have a heart but it is made of shriveled puppy tears. But, you know what totally melts my heart and has me singing and dancing like a fool in love? Broadway musicals. I always pretend to hate them, and most of the time, in my little black heart, I do hate them. I hate the idea of them: the impracticality, oddly exaggerated facial expressions, the random bursting into song, the shallow characters, etc etc. But actually, I act this way because I really love them and have absolutely no talent in singing, dancing, or acting. Thus, I hate them out of jealousy.

Last night my mom came in and took me to dinner and a show. I haven't been to a musical in ages and had almost forgotten their somewhat magical powers. We saw Wicked and loved every minute of it. A good musical is just so wonderfully silly and fun and transports you to another world. What I liked most about the show was that it would transfer so well to a small theater company with just a piano and a few really good singers. Despite the over the top performance (and perhaps overuse of the fog machine) the show could be carried with its great dialogue and fun songs. So, I confess, if I had any talent, I mean any talent at all in the singing/dancing/oddly exaggerated facial expressions, I would be working in a Vegas strip lounge, sitting on top of a piano belting out show tunes and knowing, in my heart of hearts, that I was moving one step closer to the great white way. For now though, in my current state of "zero talent", I am happy to sing in the shower. In a few weeks, when I've forgotten last night and have reverted back to crankdom, remind me of this post and I'll happy demonstrate my lack of talent and lack of shame.

Thanks Mom for a great evening!

No comments: