Sunday, September 7, 2008

Skateboarding





There are two things that are strictly prohibited at Erie Basin Park, throwing trash and skateboarding. I caught some kids riding on this sculpture (its hard to tell what they are since their design seems to suggest skateboarding) and their subsequent admonishment by this cop. I was standing across the pier and shot the whole thing. Afterwards the cop turned and waved to me. I imagine the NYPD is probably pretty skittish about having its interactions photographed after all of those "NYPD tackling and brutalizing cyclists" started showing up on the internet.

Given that the Sweds are so hellbent on form and function, I'm not sure what else these beautiful wooden structures would be used for other than skateboarding. After the kids left, the cop stayed and helped little kids ride their bikes up and down on them.

2 comments:

blank said...

hi i myself am a skateboarder and that wooden sculpture looks great to skate on.
im new to the blogging and i just searched a few blogs to do with skateboarding and this one caught my eye anyway view my page i will be posting some new stuff like images and videos hopefully in a few weeks or earlier but the weathers quite bad in new zealand but yea... bye

sleepwalker said...

I was amazed at how quickly the cop chased off the skateboarders. There seems to be a strong antiskateboarding vibe in NYC.