Monday, September 29, 2008

October Eat Local Challange

Alright, it's another eat local challange and this one is for the month of October. I enjoyed the One Local Summer Challange because it forced me to learn about my neighborhood and to fit what I cook to what I can find. Almost every recipe I have posted over the past few months has been made with local ingredients. Since OLS ended I've been much more lax about visits to the farmers market and cooking dinner.

The organizers wanted us to write up the answers to the following questions: What is your definition of local? What exemptions do you claim? What is your goal for the month?

1) What is your definition of local?
I have a relatively lax definition of local. I consider anything from NY, NJ and PA to be local and anything that I buy at the farmers market.
2) What exemptions do you claim?
I claim spices, tea, sugar (though I try to use more honey now a days), my flour is from Vermont, and chocolate.
3) What are you goals for the month?
I would like to personally eat one local meal a day which is really easy since I eat eggs almost every day for breakfast. I would like to make one new local recipe each week and attempt to have as much local food at my dinner parties as possible. The most important part of this is to expand my recipe collection which is easily done by foraging at the farmers market and going shopping without a plan.

No comments: