Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sheep Station Park Slope

Sheep Station's Web Page with Directions

I'd sort of given up on bars. They're noisy and I'm old and I usually can't find a place to sit. What I liked about Sheep Station is that it is mellow, has a great menu, and isn't overpriced. I had walked past the place a few times on my way to work and had a friend tell me that they had the best meat pies she had ever eaten.

What is a meat pie you ask? Its a stuffed puff pastry with meat, veggie, and sauce filling. Think pot pie without the little tin thingy that they come in. I had the vegetable curry pie, which was a mild curry with a lots of peas, potatoes, and carrots while Ab had the meat pie. She ate it so fast I didn't get a chance to get a bite. I also had a nice big rocket salad (translation: arugula) with pickled beets and a hard sheep's milk cheese on top.

Ab termed their menu "Aussie Bar Food" and it was a lot of grilled meat and potatoes with a nice mix of sandwiches, appetizers, and entrees. Their only dessert: sticky toffee pudding (damn you low carb diet, damn you straight to the Gowanus Canal). They had a small but nice wine list of NZ and Aussie wines with what looked like 10 beers on tap with some fruity drinks listed as well. The service left something to be desired but being nice but assertive (a nice change up from the usual passive but aggressive) worked well enough to get us our food and some really big pours on the wine (it's nice to have a cute blond friend).

The crowd minded their own business, appeared to be having interesting conversations, and were happily munching on various meals. There is a front room with the bar, some small 2-person tables, and a large table with a back room that contained more small tables and one large picnic table that appeared to be hosting a D& D game. They may have had a fireplace but I'm not sure. I was thinking it would be a great place to have book club.

My favorite parts: the large windows looking out onto 4th ave and our $50 tab for a full dinner and drinks.

No comments: