Sunday, September 14, 2008

And the Theme of the Day... Terrified Horses






I hopped on the F train and headed out to Coney Island for what I hope will become a Sunday photography ritual. I realized that I had a lot more great pictures than I could put on the web and am trying to figure out what is the best way to share them so that anyone can look at them. I tried flickr but it doesn't want my money to upgrade to their professional account. I'm trying Picasa right now so maybe I'll be back with a link in a few minutes.

Coney Island is always a fun, sort of wacky place to visit. I haven't been back for a while but I was excited to take some pictures of it when it wasn't overrun with the summer crowds. I took two lenses out with me, the 24- 120 mm zoom and the 70 to 200 mm zoom. Both are wonderful and are a really nice addition. I did shoot some pictures at night with it so I'm getting there. I have also been shooting with the 55mm which basically gives you a 1:1 ratio in terms of magnification. The two that I used today shot nicely through a range, from a wide angle to a zoom of 20 feet giving me the freedom to shoot faces and a kite surfer.

So back to Coney Island. The boardwalk area is in the middle of redevelopment. I don't know the particulars but I know a lot of people in Brooklyn aren't happy with the pace or the level of committment by the developer. There are for rent/for sale signs everywhere and many tarped off areas and places that had been left for dead. The area has always had such areas but these new ones are in the heavily developed park spots.

As always the place was crawling with people fishing, swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying the rides. I finally figure out how to get over my shyness and take pictures of people, bring a really big lens and shoot from a far.

So here are a few pics and I hope to have a link to all of them up in a bit.
As promised, a link to many of today's shots

No comments: