Saturday, December 20, 2008

Year in Pictures

I was having a very interesting conversation with my step-mama the other day about why I like certain photographs and why some are universally loved others are much more subjectively liked. For me as the photographer there is a narrative behind every picture and I think I fall in love with them when the picture matches my experience in the narrative. When you're taking pictures of strangers a great photograph captures a moment in time, a smile, a frown, or specific body language that a viewer can read even if they don't know the narrative or the relationships.

Below is a series of stories run by the Boston Globe to highlight the best pictures of 2008. The Olympics, large hadron collider, and Hurricane Gustav seem like the distant past. The past few months have been terrifying and it seems like the good will and hope leading up to the election immediately disappeared on November 5th when we realized what a pickle we were in.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

No comments: