Saturday, December 13, 2008

Garden Update



Our now totally dead fire escape garden. Lovely!



Hens and Chicks are doing well. Three out of the four succulents are doing well and one has been dead for a while.



The basil plant with dead basil plants in the window box.



The sage is still going. Next to it is a dead tomato plant with a stocking reinforcement.
Hard to imagine that it's December. Perhaps it's even harder to imagine the idea that some of my plants are still growing outside without me having to do anything to keep them going. The succulents in the front boxes are doing well and the thyme and sage are still growing and I continue to cook with them.

The basil plant has been inside for a while now and I've been doing some intense management of the plant to keep it from turning into a flowering, bud filled mess. I was plucking and pruning but I needed to do something a bit more intense, I basically cut the plant in half. We're still in the wait and see phase of the treatment but I hope it will do the trick. Plant, our three year old lemon tree continues to do well (meaning we haven't killed it).

I had hoped to get some nicer looking plants in the window boxes but I think it's too late. I think dead vegetable plants and flowers look lovely, especially from the street.

No comments: