Friday, December 19, 2008

Dorking out math style

Do you ever go to a party and get stuck with a group of people who's conservation consists entirely of inside jokes? Or perhaps you in a car with your boss and she says "Snakes trump heights" and everyone laughs and you have to pretend to laugh and the she asks if you like "the show" and you show your true political prowess by saying "oh I just that episode"? It's painful to know enough to know that you don't know anything and to realize the truth of the statement "ignorance is bliss".

Inside jokes and catch phrases are all based upon group inclusion, something that we in academia we would call being an "insider (and we call it that so that you don't feel apart of our little club).

I found a test of mathematical inside jokes and found it hugely entertaining.

Daivid Freidman, blogger and photographer listed the following numbers and asked for people to vote on their favorite. The comments section is priceless. I'll steal his numbers and add some of my own and you can test yourself to see where your dork status lies.

3.14
1128
42
8675309
0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13
4 8 15 16 23 42
90210
24601
1984
300
i

My numbers:
6.02 x 10^23
4 5 6
212
e
17
1492
2 3 5 7 11 13 17 23


In the original sequence I immediatly got 2 of them. Upon futher inspection I got a few more and I'm still not sure about 2...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jean Valjean!

Anonymous said...

Pi
?
?
?
The thing where the two previous numbers equal the next (Fibonaci?)
That one's in there, but I can't remember what it is
beverly Hills
Jean Valjean
Book
Movie?
Imaginary number


Your numbers:
?
?
Area code
?
My softball number in high school
Columbus
Prime

Anonymous said...

-Pi
-Isn't that the number George Lucas puts in all his movies?
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (what's scary is that I've never read the book and I know that)
-Jenny's phone number
-not a clue
-Aren't they the numbers from Lost?
-Beverly Hills
-not a clue
-It was a book (but I read Brave New World instead)
-It was a movie with a hot guy and a bunch of violence, right?
-don't remember

Semi-nerd status confirmed.
Beth

PS-my Secret Santa gave me candles. Nice, but not as good as booze.

sleepwalker said...

My secret santa, a lovely 7 months pregnant women got me a nice bottle of wine. Buying it was a ton of fun!

I should have included 36 24 36!