Friday, December 5, 2008

Alarm Clock


I'm not sure how you woke up this morning, but if you live on my street, it probably had something to do with this. The picture was taken about 8 am and just to let you know, when we went to bed, the street was totally intact. What that means is that this started pretty early.

I was woken up around 6 with what sounded like "come out you're surrounded". I stumbled out of bed, tripped over to the window, expecting to see someone holed up in the Italian place across the street. The amplified words sounded, to my mostly asleep ears, exactly like it sounds in the movies when they have the bank robbers surrounded. If you've seen that scene, you'll remember the next thing that happens is the shooting.

It didn't take them long to repeat the amplified words and I heard them clearly this time. "Residents of this street, come out and move your cars or we'll tow them". Nothing instills fear in a NYC parker than the threat of being towed and luckily it only took me a split second to remember that our car is tucked safely in a garage.

After the bullhorning and jolt of morning adrenelin, I was up. The destruction of the street wasn't nearly as loud as the bull horn or the towing (especially when they just let the cars honk over and over). All right all right, I'm up already.

My husband, being a rather deep sleeper, slept through almost the whole thing.

No comments: