Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holiday Cheer!

I think I'm going to start a regular feature called the Denial Phase. It will be a place where I put on my PFA (positive fucking attitude) and tra-la-la-la-la-la all is magically better in my world. Perhaps I'll have the bad judgement to post my actual feelings in a post entitled "Six Months Later" after the holidays.

(Another note on the swearing: PFA comes to me from my wonderful mother in law, who knows how to use swearing for maximum effect. Since PFA is sanctioned by her, my own mom and step-mom should think of my swearing as charming and percussive, not crass and a sign of my poor upbringing.)

Here's are a few things that have brought my great holiday cheer and joy in the past few days:

- Cramming chili fries in my mouth while talking to Ab
- My adorable yellow knit slippers with giant pom poms on the front from my sister
- See post about my adventures with my mom
- My most delicious chicken sandwich and stepmother therapy with my step mother
- Looking through a box of baby pictures with my mom and sister
- Sharing a wonderful meal with my sister and her newly minted partner boyfriend (Yay Vic!)

No offense to anyone above but the most holiday cheer came from my step-mom's cat Leo, the giant orange one that you shouldn't pet since he's a biter.



I bought all the kitties in my life bags of organic, locally grown, $12 a pound catnip for Christmas. Leo loves catnip, he's actually a bit of a tweaker when it comes to the stuff. He immediatly sniffs out the bag and begins to rub his jaw on it (without even reading the card!). I sprinkled some on his scratching bed and then the fun began.

He started by just lapping it up with his tongue. Then he started blowing on it so that it would fly up in the air and land on his head. Next was the intense jaw scratching where he rubbed his jaw and ears all over, then a few full body rolls to completely cover himself in it. Finally full out flop as if to absorb by osmosis.

Then it hits and he sits, completely stoned, staring out the window, occasionally sneezing, for the next 15 minutes, with a long string of cat drool slowly making its way to the floor and finally a plaintive, drowsy meow.

That was by far the best reaction to any present I have ever given anything or anyone in my whole life, he's raised the bar really high for anyone that wants to show appreciation.

The other cat (the little orange and black one that loves to be pet) just sniffed her bag and licked her butt.

Below are some pictures of holiday cheer for your enjoyment. I think they go well with the newly released Weezer holiday songs that are just the right mix of driving chords and sweet holiday charm.











Wow, just writing that made me feel better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The story of the cat and the catnip gift cracked me up. And the thought of any human expressing such joy that way cracked me up even more... Nice photos, too! (from Zelacat)

sleepwalker said...

it was pretty great, I don't think any human will ever live up to it!