Monday, December 29, 2008

NoVA

My husband grew up in Northern Virginia and every time I visit the place it seems like a magical fantasy land. Everyone's dad is a four-star general, no one's mom can talk about what they actually do, and all the kids are above average (really I think they all went to Ivy league schools). I don't want it to sound too "Lake Wobegone" but the place attracts interesting, talented people like LA attracts fake boobs and eating disorders.

Because everyone is above average there are always kookie traditions that I get to witness. This year we made it down to see the annual model plane flight. A bunch of overachievers gather in a playground and witness the flight of a model plane, this year, the Enola Gay. The wonderful thing about it is that these people have been coming down to this field for years and years and have known each other since grade school. I guess my friends in NJ have similar traditions but they usually include the word "mall", "shoes", or "wrestle over the last of the christmas ham".

So here is the 2008 flight, I'll let you see how it turned out.










Same place, next year?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with your NoVA comment - I moved to NoVA almost three years ago. I love it, except for all the type-A overachievers that live here... It hasn't made my recovery any easier, that's for sure.

Thank you for sharing this interesting tradition!

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't mean to pick nits, but that field actually IS the grade school that most of us went to....

sleepwalker said...

well sure, but you didn't have the tower of death did you? the husband failed to mention this small detail...