Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Newbies

We're new to Brooklyn and have been here about 8 months. Immediately before that we lived in DC for a year and then in Manhattan for about 6 years. I start with this information because I just want to be clear about how little I know of Park Slope, our home turf, and how much less I know about Brooklyn as a whole.

I realized this as I read Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn's Top 100 Park Slope List and wanted to pay homage to the reasons why I'm really glad we bought a place in Brooklyn instead of a one bedroom dump in Manhattan.

Favorite Restaurant: Hands down the best meal I've had in Brooklyn has been at Aliseo in Prospect Heights. Now we've had lots and lots of incredible meals all over the place but this one was by far the best. In order to judge a place I often order something difficult to prepare like octopus. You may think that I'm setting myself up for disappointment and most of the time I am, but the chef at Aliseo nailed the crispy octopus with grilled black cabbage and managed to pair a wine with my seafood and my husband's meal.

The decor is a little too over designed for my taste but a good bottle of wine combined with great lighting will trump over grandma's attic decor any day.

Favorite Restaurant on a Cold or Rainy Day: Moim on Garfield. I don't know why I felt the need to create a separate category but I did. We only go in there when its cold and rainy. Nothing warms me up like a bi bim bop (or hot rock bimbo as we call it) and a seat next to their little gas fireplace. Since we haven't found a place for great paella in the neighborhood, the hot rock bimbos are a good substitute for the crunchy ricy goodness and I'm sure we'll be back before the winter is out.

Favorite Grocery Store: Hands down the Food Co-op. I too was a little daunted by their orientation spiel, kind of creepy group speak, and long lines but my fears were put aside when I saw their lovely, cheap local selection of produce and proteins, spice aisle, and beer selection. I also very much enjoy my monthly shift. I work in the food processing department and spend 2-3 hours every month packaging and sorting cheeses, olives, spices, and teas with interesting people. What more could I ask for? Plus given my other options, Union Market, Key Foods, or the deli across the street, there's not much competition.

Best Date Spot: Lobster Rolls on Sunday on the back porch of Fairway, right around sunset.

Favorite Place Where Everybody Knows My Name: Actually, I'm pretty sure they don't know my name, but the guys at Big Nose Full Body are always chatty, pick great wines, and do things like have mustache growing contests. I don't know a lot about wines but I know how to pick a good wine store. I test them out by asking for things like "a red to get me over this shitty hump day at work" or "something to go with my bacon dinner party" or my favorite crazy request "I need enough wine for a 60-100 person dinner party but don't want to spend more than $200". All of these requests were handled with grace and good humor and they have yet to steer me wrong. Plus they like to talk sports.

Favorite Toy Store: Little Things on 7th. Okay, I've only been an Aunt for a year but I really love to spoil my nephew and with many other aunts, an uncle, and some powerful grand parents, I've got to work pretty hard. I also work at a place that has a very excellent gift shop with science oriented toys. Point being, I have a high standard and believe that toys from Aunt Meg should promote a love of science and be fun for the cherub, his parents, and the dog.

So I choose Little Things because they had , The Food Chain Friends. This has got to be the best toddler science toy ever. It's a set of stuffed animals that form a food chain, from the tiniest insect-like creature to the biggest carnivore, and you play with them by stuffing them in each other's mouth. There is even a story that goes along with the whole thing. When I gave it to the cherub he immediately lit up and stuck the omnivore in his mouth for a good long getting to know you chew. The dog jealously eyed the medium carnivore, and my 33 year old sister immediately began to play with them.

So, I really don't know much about the Little Things shop other than they have this toy and its the best science related toy for a toddler ever.

My favorite place to hang out on a hot summer night: This is still my brother in laws back yard. The concept of the urban back yard is still magical and mysterious to me. They are like miniature slices of suburbia nestled into the middle of the big bad city. When you outfit them with a grill, hammock, cooler, and a slice of Brooklyn's film making elite, it's hard to make a case for spending $8 on a pint of beer.

Favorite Bar: Barbes. No question. Live music, tons of fancy beers and scotch, and right around the corner from Joe's Pizza. Done.

Favorite Pizza: Joe's on 5th. I had lunch as Franny's a few weeks back and it was really good. They even have a cheeseless pizza for us lactards but for good, greasy, regular pizza, Joe's is our choice.

Favorite Dog Watching Place: I spent the better part of the past year begging my husband for a dog. I finally stopped when he gave me the "seriously stop" look. So I have to get my dog fix somewhere else and that somewhere else is the Dog Beach in Prospect Park. I'm the weird one with the giant camera looking lovingly at your pooch and I apologize. Sometimes I have an even blonder lady with me looking loveingly at your dog and I apologize for her as well.

Favorite Place to Make A Fool Out of Myself: Mark Morris Dance Company's beginner modern dance workshop. For a 6 session series for $75 you'll get a pretty good sense of what modern dance is about, limber up, strengthen your core, and get a good laugh at yourself. The class has a few upstart teens and exdancers but it comprised of mostly adults looking to learn something new and not take themselves too seriously.

Favrotie Specialty Food Store: Bierkraft on 5th is filled with things I can't eat, beer and cheese. All they need is a counter of tomatoes and onions and I'd be set. Luckily for me, they have a ton of wheatless beers, good salt and vinegar chips, and our favorite brand of spicy chocolate bars. They've also helped me pair some beer with some strange food requests. They also happen to be across the street from my favorite backyard hangout.

Edited to Add: Let me know if you have any suggestions. I especially need a good place to get my hair cut, the last place butchered it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm 32, not 33!! No need to add on years, my dear!

sleepwalker said...

I was talking about Sal