Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Good F'ing Riddance 2008

Except for my dad dying, 2008 wasn't a bad year. I nominate myself for understatements of the year. For us it wasn't too bad of a year, we bought an apartment, moved back into the city, and enjoyed the love and support of family and friends. But for the world, 2008 was pretty crappy.

2008 is divided into two distinct sets: pre-election and post-election. Before the election I was still clinging to the hope that the election of Obama would solve everything. It was a great delusion and it carried me through some tough times. After the election, I still had hope but all the hope in the world couldn't deny that we were witnessing a global shit storm of epic proportions.

I have basically forgot anything that happened this year before my dad got sick. I lived and worked in DC for two months, sat front and center for the Eliot Spitzer sexy-time, and very much disliked the movie Cloverfield. Early last year was all about losing our property virginity, finding a new job, and two months of a two hour commute and long-weekend trips back to DC.

The only thing I remember about the spring is some major work stuff, the season finales of Battlestar and Lost, and my husband's joy at discovering Vic's sweatpants. I can still smell the hospital.

Summer was all about the Olympics. We must have watched every single event we could. I always cry, seriously weep, when people win sporting events and I think I must have cried my eyes out for those two weeks. I honestly don't remember anything about the Olympics other than the incredible opening ceremony, Michael Phelps, and Shawn Johnson's cameltoe. It's a blur but I loved every minute of it.

Did we have a fall? I just vaguely remember being really angry all the time, mostly at John McCain. The campaign seems like a lifetime ago and Obama's win is already ancient history in my mind. As soon as the campaign was over, the year descended into doom and gloom and a lot of photography.

I never really make resolutions but here are a few:
- Pack my lunch more
- Take a photography class
- Take a photo every day

I suspect that globally 2009 is going to pretty dismal but I predict an onslaught of new babies, increasingly excellent food, and many many rounds of drinks with friends and family.

No comments: