Friday, December 12, 2008

West Branch on the UWS

I guess I hadn't realized it until last night. I can't remember the last time I went to a new restaurant in Manhattan. I've gotten so excited about all things Brooklyn that I've basically ignored anything new around work and when I do go out, its always to old standbys.

Last night I had a delightful meal at the recently opened West Branch on the UWS. I hadn't realized that it is the restaurant of a hotel but when I found out I wasn't surprised. The decor was boring with a sort of upscale dental clinic vibe, crowded tables, and bad lighting but the food was incredible. West Branch seems to have two menus, one of comfort food (paninis and pastas) that are easy on the visiting tourist and the other more rustic with a french bistro flare.

I had look at the menu online and saw that the Hearts and Gizzards was a speciality. I've been going through a phase where I try to eat the strangest thing on the menu. I call it a phase because it is very fleeting and I usually chicken out, literally. Last night I felt up to expanding my list of eaten organ meats and was not disappointed. The duck hearts, which come grilled and skewered, are somewhat tough, similar to a thick cut flank steak with a meaty, metallic taste. It is an unusual texture but a nice flavor. The gizzards came in a red wine and tomato stew and I honestly couldn't tell you what part of the bird they were. The texture and flavor were lovely though I could have done with more veggies and less chunks of belly fat. Overall the dish, despite the spitted hearts, was easy to eat and very familiar to my somewhat sheltered palette.

A's veal and pasta was subtly flavored and I can only imagine my step-mom's mussels were delicious. Everything was great, the waiter was attentive though coy about his favorite dish, and the wine list had tons of relatively cheap, good wines.

Seems like a great place to take visiting friends from out of town. Be sure to make reservations, we could hardly fight our way out the door!

No comments: