Thursday, July 31, 2008

Such a Lady...



No, this isn't about my husband's desire to have "She's No Lady, She's My Wife" as our official wedding song... One of my favorite phrases is "Its time to pull on your big girl panties". This is not to be confused with "Satan's Panties" or "Did you hear that? It was my panties sliding to the ground". Nope, I reserve the big girl panties for when I really really really don't want to do something. I use it with no regard to how serious the deed is (ie taking the garbage out vs going to the lady-bits doctor) and it is often accompanied by a big sigh, a chin up, and a check of panty line, breath, and armpit moistness.

When I use it for other people, it is really more along the lines of "Seriously? Are you really such a baby? Are you wearing underroos with care bears on them? Alright, its time to pull on your big girl panties." It should also be used with no regard to gender since this is really about acting like an adult not like a big boned girl.

I've been using it around the office a lot lately because well, we haven't been getting a lot of good news on the government funding side (thanks wall street and market force "its not a bubble" assholes) and we're getting set to face another round of even more bad news. Since I've been using it so much I wanted to determine the provenance of the saying so I googled it.

Guess where it comes from? No, really guess. Mean Girls? Nope? Hannah Montana? Not even close... Super Nanny? Closer. It is what Margaret Spellings, sorry Secretary Spellings, said to Dana "What's the bay of pigs" Perino on her first day as WH press secretary. Part of me wants to respect that and part of me realizes, "Show some fucking adaptability" is also a great phrase.

So, show some fucking adaptability ladies.

No comments: