Sunday, February 15, 2009

Photo of the Day- Valentine's Day



We don't usually do anything special for Valentine's Day. This year I sent out a bunch of cards to family but my husband and I don't really do much. We don't actually do much in the way of presents but usually for birthdays and holidays try to find some time just to hang out and eat a meal together. This year we went down to Steinhoff's on 7th and 14th and enjoyed a rustic brunch and beer. The place is a mix of coffee shop, bar, and brunch place and was packed. The food was great, not too many kids, and they left us alone to sip our beer. I don't want to seem anti kids but some of the places around here can get packed with screaming kids that are set loose to run around as if it is the other diner's responsibility to keep the kids safe. Now I understand a screaming kid but I don't understand when a parent lets a kid stand up in a booth, reach over and grab my hair with jam filled hands. I'm all for playing hide and seek but when a kid is trying to climb up my chair and share my omelet I draw the line. Maybe when we have kids I'll understand, maybe I won't and maybe I'll be the type of parent that invests in those plastic fasteners that are so handy around the house. Who knows but I still don't like other people's sticky hands in my hair.

So, yummy brunch at Steinhoff's and then a trip to the hardware store where we purchased anti-pigeon supplies. A pigeon has taken up residence under our bedroom air conditioner and wakes us up at the crack of dawn with its cooing. My husband wanted to get some chicken wire to stuff under the unit and I wanted to make a potato cannon to show the pigeon who's boss. I ended up getting some gardening supplies and we ended up bringing home the chicken wire and expertly stuffing it under the unit.

To round out our day we went into the city to meet a friend who is town for a conference. I usually hate going to times square but my husband remembered BxL, a Belgian bistro at 43rd and 6th. We had a wonderful time with out mussels, leffe blonde, steak frites, and international studies professors.

"Not a bad Valentine's Day" I thought to myself as I rested my head on my husband's shoulder and the subway rumbled home.

No comments: