Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Lunch

I'm back at my desk after a bit of a hiatus and eating my lunch. During my time away the kerfuffle over tomatoes happened. I hate tomatoes and didn't really think very much about all of those poop covered red balls of oook. But as I ate my lunch today, a colorful salad that I put together in our employee cafeteria I asked myself "Where the heck did this come from?" The lettuce is sliced in almost perfect 3/4 inch strips, the carrots and peppers are sliced to the same exacting standard, and my eggs came preshelled. How far away did this stuff come from? How did it end up in its current perfectly sliced form? and How much grossness is on it?

I finished my salad (no need to let it go to waste) but I couldn't help think that I needed to treat it like I would treat a meal in a country with an unsafe water supply: with a few shots of tequilla to kill any fecal bacteria that ended up in my gut.

Tomorrow I think I may bring my own lunch.

No comments: