Saturday, June 21, 2008

Garden Update

After spending most of the past month ignoring my garden, I was happy to return home and see it still flourishing. Being new to container gardening I've been surprised by the constant need for watering and worried about the need to feed the soil. Many of these plants are in tiny containers and since they're growing really quickly (in some cases) I wanted to make sure that the soil provided enough nutrients. I added some vegetable fertilizer to one and some liquid plant food to some of the non-edible boxes and plants. We'll see how they do with the new food.

After successfully fighting off the aphids I found a few on one of my super hot pepper plants. Another spritz of soapy water and a meeting with my finger tips seems to have gotten rid of them for now. We still have lots of little gnats but they don't seem to do any damage and I also have seen bees, carpenter bees (who eat our roof), wasps, spiders, and a dragon fly.

The "garden" is producing tons of basil, mint, parsley, chives, and rosemary and I have been giving the stuff away. There is also one tomato and one pepper. The peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes continue to flower and the green beans are growing like crazy.

On a final note, I was walking down the street towards my apartment and saw how wonderful the flower boxes looked against the red brick of the Liberty Building.

No comments: