Monday, June 9, 2008

Buying Local

It was time to switch my spring plants out for summer plants so I went down to the local nursery yesterday. I passed both Lowes and Home Depot and turned into Gowanus Nursery. Its a beautiful little spot filled with a great variety of plants that do well in Brooklyn. Its also very expensive. $6 for a single petuna? $17 for a 10" rosemary bush? I know I could get a flat of petunas for $12 at the big store but I want to support local businesses and buy plants that aren't swamped in stuff that bad for me. Given that I eat half of what comes out of the "garden" I want to be extra careful about what goes into the plants.

So we're almost summerized for the plants. The veggies and herbs are still here but most of the pansies are gone. I also put in a succulent window box in the corner box that gets full sun and no rain. I have 10 window boxes and they are all their own little microclimate (sun, wind, rain, pollution) so we'll see how I did matching the plants to the box location.

No comments: