Sunday, June 28, 2009

Cracks in the Sidewalk





One of the things that I love about urban living is how, despite our best efforts, life always invades our cement paradise. In the spring, all of the dreary industrial wastelands bloom and are overcome with exuberant plant life forcing itself upon the landscape. I feel a kinship with those plants in the cracks of the sidewalk and try to find a new place to stick a plant whenever I can.

I'd been looking for some planters that I could hang over the railing in front of the building and finally found them out in NJ. I also picked up some new and different plants to go in them. This was my first attempts to purchase plants that would look nice together. Unfortunately the planters and their plants do little to mask the ugly garbage cans and barren street corner where we live. I may consider buying some more but they are expensive and there is little to prevent the local teenagers from stealing or destroying them.

I've been thinking a lot about a deck and wondering what I could do up there in its current state. The roof is totally blank with and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting anything up there for fear it would damage the roof. Its also windy as hell and I would be worried that things would fly off. Regardless, I get credit for trying...

No comments: