Saturday, June 6, 2009

OLS Week 1 2009

Happy One Local Summer! I've been really lame the past 6 months and have not been cooking much at all. Partially its because our oven is broken and its partially because I've just been too busy to cook anything other than my old standards. I am very excited to start OLS since it really kicked started my cooking for the summer. My rules are simple: local is anything made in NJ, NY, or PA or anything I find at the farmers markets in NYC. I know most people are a bit more strict but every little bit counts.

To start OLS 2009, I stuck by a standard, but made it for a bunch of people. We went fishing and I decided I would cook for everyone. It was a little tougher than I first envisioned because one of our friends is a vegetarian and there were also no condiments or real cooking vessels in the rented kitchen.

Have no fear, when ever you are in a tough cooking situation, a frittata will come to the rescue! I made a local spinach, egg, cheddar cheese, and milk one in a disposable (eek!) lasagna dish. I also have made so many that I didn't write down any sort of recipe. I will say its an easy OLS meal, an easy do anywhere meal, and one that is good for breakfast lunch or dinner.

1 comment:

Hua said...

Hi sleepwalker,

I too enjoy cooking for friends. Food is the best way to bring people together.

I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua