Saturday, June 20, 2009

First Summer Feast


Happy First Feast of the summer! We had many feasts last summer and this kicks off the first of 2009! I feel like I need to make up for my lame start to OLS and throw an almost entirely local feast. To make it more difficult, my oven is broken (though the broiler works). To increase the degree of difficulty even further, I have invited my friend who is allergic to wheat, soy, most dairy, eggs, and red meat. Couple that with making it an OLS meal and you have your challenge.

Luckily, I am a member of the food co-op in my neighborhood and they go out of their way to stock local, organic food. When I went shopping this morning I stopped at the co-op first with the intention of picking everything else up at the farmers market. Luckily, I found everything I needed (and then some) at the co-op. Park Slope, our utopian yuppie sanctuary is one of those places that follows Michael Pollen's every dictate so even our delis and overpriced markets carry more local than most places. That made my local task easier but didn't help me with my oven or my friend's food allergy.



Starters:
Cheeses
Ewe's Blue - Old Chatham (NY)
Tilsit - Brovetto Dairy (NY)
Hawthorne Valley Alpine Reserve (NY)

Mozzarella (Russo's on 7th Ave), Basil (our fire escape), tomatoes (hothouse tomatoes labeled "from New England")

Salsa (made at Union Market on 7th) and Chips (not local)

Main Course:

Roasted Chicken (PA) with homemade pesto under the skin, stuffed with local shallots and garlic and herbs from our window boxes (lemons not local)



Beets (New Jersey) with Goat Cheese (Do, Ri Me Farm, Poughkeepsie NY)





Baby greens (our planter box), beet greens (our windowsill), and local lettuces with kirby cucumbers (NJ) and cherry tomatoes (PA)



Roasted Asparagus (NJ)

Dessert:



Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate from Mast Bros. - made in Brooklyn
- Flour from King Arthur Flour - VT
- Butter from VT
- Sugar that's not local


Basil, Strawberry Honey Frozen Yogurt

- Basil from our fire escape
- Plain yogurt from Old Chatham Farms
- Honey from my mom in NJ


Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Strawberries from NY
- Mast Brother's chocolate (Brooklyn)

No comments: