Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Tempting Rumor

In early July the coffee shop across the street closed its doors and its been vacant ever since. Since then there has been much speculation on the Brooklyn blogs and in our building as to what would come and we were all very excited to hear that a Vietnamese sandwich shop would open. You, like me, may ask "What is a Vietnamese sandwich?"

A ton of friends expressed their deep and undying love for these tasty morsels and recommended many different places around the city to test them out.

Then we heard that it would be a real estate office and basically forgot about the whole thing. Yesterday a Brooklyn blog, www.gowanuslounge.com brought up the rumor again and I quickly squeaked "Stop teasing me". Today a number of blogs ran the story and there seems to be more and more support for the idea.

I quickly emailed our neighborhood friends and one of them suggested I try Sidecar on 15th and 5th since they had a Banh - D sandwich. I grabbed the latest issue of the New Yorker (a must for any dinner on one's own) and headed down there. I should start by saying I rarely head south and there are tons of restaurants that looked great and I hope to hit a few more in the coming weeks.

Okay the sandwich. It has a weird list of ingredients: pate, mayo, marinated pork, carrots, cilantro, cucumber, and jalapenos. They put it on ciabatta bread and it comes with a small shot of cucumber juice and its totally delicious. It was a bit clumsy and needed a lighter bread and tangier marinate on the pork but even this admitted imitation of the sandwich left me hoping the latest rumor of a Vietnamese sandwich shop was true.
Link to a review of a Lower East Side Vietnamese Sandwich shop

No comments: