Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Goodbye Blueberry!

On Monday I parted ways with my beloved Blueberry. I got the car right after college and it served me so well. We had been through bad times (and it still smelled like swamp), I became mildly allergic to it due to an incident with an open sunroof and many good times. I often found myself driving down an open stretch of highway, blaring music, singing at the top of my lungs in my shiny electric blue car. During these moments I would reflect on the different phases of my life that the car saw: driving back and forth to my summer internship at the Textile Conservation Shop, the long drive between the UWS and Paterson, not being able to drive the blue car to work on certain Tuesdays because it was gang initiation day and blue was the wrong neighborhood color, driving my new boyfriend down to the beach on the coldest day of the year and watching him demonstrate his lack of stick shift grace, and driving down to DC with the car stuffed full of wedding presents.

When we got the new car, the contrast make me feel like a sophisticated version of myself, with the Blueberry representing the young me and the Grey Streak representing the old me. We kept the Blueberry at my Dad's and it lived there under a big, sappy tree all summer. The battery was dead and it was home to a wide variety of bugs. In the end, it was kind of a mess with no license plates and a very disreptuable patina of summer ook.

On Monday, my day started with my step-brother kindly jump starting the car at 7am and warning me not to turn it off. Then we were off to the car wash where it took them about an hour to scrub the car. They shampooed the carpets but left them soaking so I had to find new carpets since it smelled quite terrible. Then up for an inspection, back to brooklyn to get the extra keys and owner's Manuel, and up to New Haven to be sold. The problem was the traffic. It took me almost four hours to get from NYC to New Haven and by the time I got up there I just wanted to get rid of the car and get my butt on the train.

The nice guy at the dealer took me to the train and I was sailing back to NYC in a hour. In the end I wasn't too sad to say goodbye to the car since it had served me so well. I hope someone (who isn't too allergic to it) enjoys it as much as I did.

No comments: