Monday, October 6, 2008

Eat Local Challenge

We're six days into the October Eat Local Challenge and I done an alright job. I have been eating one, sometimes two local meals a day but I have not increased my recipe diversity like I've wanted to.

I eat basically the same thing everyday. Soft boiled eggs for breakfast and a salad with veggies and chicken for lunch. I go out of my way to find local eggs and veggies at the food co-op and can easily find Murray's chicken. The eggs and chicken come from PA and the veggies are still coming from Jersey and NY.

I also went out of my way to choose recipes for our huge open house this weekend that could be made with local products. I made a feast and then at the last minute remembered to include some munchies. The local menu this weekend was:
- Asian Sliced Steak Salad
- BLT salad
- Turkey Chili
- Turkey and Tomato Fritatta
- Black beans, Corn, and Salsa Fritatta
- Tomatoes, Basil, and Mozzarella
- Hoisin and Chinese 5-Spice Chicken Legs

I'm sure there was more but the ingredients for those dishes were locally sourced. I was really hoping for more left overs but a hungry group of I-Bankers showed up around 9 and ate everything in sight.

Unfortunately, we left a few bits of cheese out and when we woke up the next morning the smell of cheese filled out apartment like a fog bank. It was only after opening every window, double bagging the cheese, and thorough dousing with Lysol that we could go out of our cozy, cheesefree bedroom.

Turkey Chili recipe to come!

No comments: