Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Banking Time

Okay, I admit it. I'm blogging to kill time. I'm not only trying to kill time, I'm trying to bank time. Why? Because it's the finale of Project Runway and despite my complaints that I hate this season, I am still very excited to see who wins. But I can't stand to watch commercials and the debate is on every other channel so I'm blogging.

So to kill time I thought I would tell a little story. I was coming home from a meeting with the head of my organization and she mentioned an episode of Monk. In this episode, Monk is climbing a bookcase to get away from a snake. His assistant points out that he's afraid of heights and he replies "Snakes trump heights" and further explains his heirarchy of fears. Just for context his list goes like this: "germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators". They all make sense but the true comic genius of the show is revealed in his fear of milk. Who is afraid of milk?

This got me thinking, what is my milk? Most of his list are not irrational fears but milk is totally irrational (now I'm not a loyal fan so maybe this is rational and I just haven't see that episode). So what is my list.

1) The dark- this trumps all fears and is inclusive of all things that thrive in the dark like ghosts, zombies, monsters, boogie man/woman, etc. I have a very active imagination and I have a vivid dream and sleepwalking combo so you could imagine why I slept with the lights on until...well sometimes even now when I'm by myself. I should also note, to make this more irrational that it's not the idea of criminals that makes me scared of the dark, it's unreal things like zombies.

2) Dark Water- This is really a subcategory of the dark and includes all of the scary things of the dark plus the fear of drowning. You can get me to go in the dark but you'll have a really hard time getting me to go in dark water (unless you dare me and then I'll do just about anything to prove a point).

3) Snakes that live in the water- Just the thought of them made my blood pressure skyrocket. I think a fear of snakes is normal but I'm not afraid of most snakes, only snakes in the water. Just the thought of them wriggling through the water...

So there is my milk. The dark, dark water, and snakes. I also don't like watching people kiss on TV, is makes me all grossed out inside.

No comments: