Thursday, July 30, 2009

A quick garden update

While I haven't been cooking I have been gardening. I've been struggling with a plague of green aphids all spring and summer and have had to find plants that they don't want to eat. They pop up very quickly and will destroy a window box of plants if I'm not careful. And they're really pretty gross!

I put in a bunch of planters on street level and those seem to be doing alright. They're quite pretty and they haven't been knocked over yet.

Here's what doing well:

Basil (only one pot this year)
Patio Tomatoes are just about to turn red
Herbs
Flowers
My little box of succulents

My cucumbers are quite dead. I was hoping that they would grow onto the existing ivy vines and take up residence but that never really worked.

The broccoli and cauliflower did really well until a few weeks ago but then bolted in the heat. I'll try again in the fall.

No comments: