Friday, July 31, 2009

Nesting

I didn't want to post this until I told me husband but I've been nesting. Hard. Like I can't work because I'm thinking about paint colors nesting. We've lived here for over a year and aside from paint and the floors we really haven't done anything. This week, we agreed upon a design for our built-in bookshelves and that triggered 31 (almost 32!!!) years of pent up interior design from someplace deep within my soul.

But listen. I don't have very good taste. And, and this is important to know about me, I can basically be talked into liking anything if you try for 1-2 minutes and ask nicely. I'm fickle, have poor taste, and insist on doing everything on the cheap. Luckily for my husband, I am also plagued by an utter lack of confidence and am easily distracted by shiny things, white wine, and my own feet. I am also lucky in that my husband has wonderful taste. I think he would roll his eyes at my declaration but we still love and use everything he had when I met him and my stuff never made it out of my last apartment. His style seems to be mellow colors, lots of wood, and clean lines. My "style" is a bit, well, its better not to think about other than imagining a dyslexic fairy princess threw up after a particularily large meal at Ikea and Kmart. Think granny shabby with impulsive color choices.

Anyway, nesting. I made a list. And some stuff I can do by myself (keeping in mind that the husband should and does have executive veto power). I wanted to start in the bathroom. It has navy tile, white fixtures, high ceilings, and a huge window. It is currently a bright yellow. It is important to note that we are not super neat people so while I love an all white bathroom, it isn't the best idea.

I was envisioning light grey walls, paint the currently pine cabinets glossy white, and then change out the plywood/formica vanity for something with clean lines that's made out of wood. Maybe some sage green highlights (like I'll keep the succulents in there).





So for this room I want:
- new window coverings
- vanity
- light
- coat of paint

No comments: