Monday, July 6, 2009

A Little Test

I told one of my coworkers that she had to read "Cryptonomicon" and she asked me back "What else do you like? I have to know whether to trust your recommendation, so what other type of fiction do you like?" I've been stuck on non-fiction for a while now but I'm sure I've read some good, non-embarrassing to admit fiction but I had to check.

Here are some of my favorites. Some are achingly good, other whitty, amusing, and fun. Some, like, #12, symbolize a particular time in my life but I still think are excellent books. As I look over the list, I realize that I love historical fiction with a saucy main character and very descriptive writing. I also realize that my list is biased because it is stuff that has managed to stay on my shelf. I'm a giver of books and that means I often foist my favorites on unsuspecting dinner guests.

1. John Irving, "A Prayer for Owen Meany"
2. Michael Chabon, "The Amazing Adventure of Kavalier and Clay"
3. Edward P. Jones, "The Known World" (breathtaking)
4. Tim O'brien- The Things They Carried
5. George RR Martin - the first three of that series
6. Chris Moore- Bloodsucking Fiends is my favorite but he's best known for Lamb
7. Kate Atkinson - Scenes from a Museum and any of the Jackson Brody Series
8. Caleb Carr- The Alienist
9. Richard Russo- Straight Man
10. Tania French - The Likeness
11. Nicholas Krauss- A History of Love
12. Nicholas Christopher- A Trip to the Stars

For a little perspective, I'm currently reading an autobiography of Madeline Albright, Salt, and a book called "Hilter's Scientists". I'm in a bit of a non-fiction jag it seems but I could use a heartbreakingly beautiful fiction book. I haven't read one since A History of Love or The Known World.

No comments: