Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Historic Day

I'm writing this post right before the election results start to come in. I'm nervous as hell. We voted this morning at our new precinct in Brooklyn and were surprised to find such a mess inside the polling place. The line, which stretched around the corner, down the block, and down the next street moved very quickly. Since we're new to the neighborhood it was great to meet some new people and to see the diversity of our district. Unlike my last lily white suburban district, ours is a relatively diverse in age and race. It was a beautiful day and we dutifully waited for our turn. When we got inside it was pretty chaotic.

We were done in about an hour and a half so I've had all day to sit around and freak out. I've been reading people's stories from the day and have choked up many times. I also really miss my dad. He was a political junkie and would have been very excited about this race. I talked with my sister this morning about his quirky sense of humor and predicted some of the jokes he would have told.

So I'm heading out to a party to watch the polls close. When I get back, we'll either have the first black president or the first female VP. Historic in deed.

No comments: