Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. You get the family, the food, the merriment, and good cheer without worrying about presents and who doesn't love pumpkin without presents. This year, despite what a crappy hand we were dealt, I actually have a lot to be thankful for.

1) When my dad was first diagnosed, our family drew even closer together and my step-sister put it we "shoveled" each other along. Now six months after his death, I'm very thankful for them and their shoveling technique. I'm thankful for the people that they are and perhaps most of all, their sense of humor in getting through this. I'm sure we'll have other crappy hands, I hope they don't hurt too much, but I can't imagine a better group to have on my side.

2) I'm thankful for my friends. You've done a lot of hand holding, tissue ringing out, and provided very nice shoulders to cry on. I would be a total wreck without you. I look forward to a year of good times and pestering you less about my photographs, garden, and "cooking".

3) Our house. We love our house and its environs. It is wonderful to have a place to hang our hat, store our stuff, and bask in the sunlight.

4) My dad's camera equipment. I had grown away from photography over the past few years as digital eclipsed film but my dad's equipment has brought it back to life for me. Aside from my constant pestering of my family, friends, and a number of brooklyn blogs, the introduction of a new hobby has brought me great joy. Doing something new is always good for the soul and after years of career focus it is wonderful to be doing something creative. Now if I can only learn how to take the thing off of "auto".

5) Obama. The next few months will reveal the depths of W's bastardization of the White House. It's so inspiring to elect someone of my generation who shares my worldview and speaks in coherent sentences. Our expectations have been lowered but this guy appears to be a once in a lifetime leader.

I'm sure there is more but for now, this is a lot to be thankful for. I guess most of all I'm thankful for my dad, who sometimes I can't believe is gone, but who gave me and our family so much.

1 comment:

eightyk said...

I'm thankful for you! And your roasting pan...