Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mini Dirt Manicure

While I'm a science person I don't apply my science knowledge or habits to my gardening. I don't think about soil, I don't read regions, and I don't do much more than buy what looks pretty and seems interesting. This year when I replanted my window boxes I simply left a lot of the roots and plant matter in the boxes, mixed them up, added some new soil and food, and planted. I'm sure there is a science to growing the best food out there and lots of research on revitalizing spent soil but I'm really not, right now, that into turning my hobby into a research project.

This year I decided to try and start some seeds from scratch. It is kind of a gamble considering that I kill any indoor plant, but figured it wouldn't hurt. I bought some seed packs and little soil plug from the local hardware store, added water and a few seeds, and placed the whole thing on my office window sill. We'll see how it goes but I won't feel too invested if they don't do well, I do have a black houseplant thumb.

I'm currently looking for a little more real estate. We have been scolded for our fire escape pots so I've lost a relatively large amount of space. I'm tempted to start something on the roof but don't want to hurt the roof lining or have to rely on going up and down the rickety ladder.

No comments: