Sunday, March 22, 2009

Big Gardening Day






Hooray! Today was the first real gardening day up here on the 4th floor. We went down to the store and picked up some pansies, cauliflower, rosemary, and broccoli and I stuck them in the dirt. It wasn't quite that simple, but close enough.

I left many of the plants from last year in the boxes to ward off pigeons and needed to pull them, add some new soil and nutrients, and break up the clumps and roots. This is a pretty messy process in an apartment but not nearly as messy as last year. I also didn't have to haul up 30 pound bags of soil to fill my boxes.

I the cauliflower and broccoli way too close together with the idea that some wouldn't survive and that I would have to pull some. I can realistically get one or two heads in the box so 12 may be over doing it. I also replanted the other 6 in little pots in doors in case we have another hard frost. I'm afraid my enthusiasm may have overstepped the last frost day in this region but I'm going to hope for the best and have a back up plan.

I'm always hesitant to plant pansies since I know most of them will bolt and need to be taken out before too long. They are just so darn pretty. Again, my enthusiasm has overtaken my practicality, but hey, I'll live dangerously.

No comments: