Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Union Square Farmers Market

While Brooklyn has a great farmers market, I know and love the Union Square one. We used to live over there so I know a lot of the vendors and products. Unfortunately the cute bread guy is no longer there...

I wanted to scope out the place for meat, local flour, honey and some other pantry things. I found a guy who had lovely looking pork but he was from Vermont which is our of my 100- mile radius. I again have to consider whether this breaks my rules or not. I made a pretty quick decision: If I found it at a farmers market I can feel pretty good about buying it. I didn't buy it because I had just stocked up on a ton of meat. So supplies I can get there:
- some meats
- some fish
- some dairy (lot of cheese)
- salad greens
- wine
- whole grain flours
- honey, jams and sweet stuff
- lots of plants

Things I couldn't find
- a wider selection of meats
- milks
- strawberries (yet)

I did find two things that I was looking for: Ramps and local goat cheese. Ramps have a somewhat legendary status so I wanted to try them out.

I found both of these and think that I'm going to try the chicken on tomorrow night. I actually have the ingredients to do it locally so why not start early.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/reviews/103313
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/103326

I am also going to try a goat cheese custard with strawberries and red wine sauce.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2008/05/goat_cheese_cus.html
There are a couple of places where you can pick your own strawberries so we may try to do that this weekend. There may not be strawberries so I may do a variation on it using beets.

No comments: