Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wearing a hole in my sweatpants




I’m always a bit embarrassed when I return from this type of vacation and admit to my friends that I did absolutely nothing. In case you are caught in judgment consider that it has been quite chilly (low 60s) and rainy the past two days and even in the best of weather there isn’t a lot to do around here. We could kayak, rent a sail boat, or go whale watching but all of those things sound either cold or guaranteed to make me puke (don’t think I don’t remember those Montauk whale watching ‘be sure to puke through the scupper’ trips as a child”). We could also hike but don’t have the right gear.

To be honest, this part of vacation was designed to do nothing, to sit on the porch or lounge around in bed reading, sitting tea, and refilling the bathtub with more hot water when it cooled too much. It’s been a long time since our last vacation and we need 4 days of sweatpants, noses in books, and lazy all day meals. If I feel adventurous I can just sit up and look at the silly honking burrows, toss the ball to Quincy (who is a terrible partner at fetch since he doesn’t understand “drop it”) or occasionally meander outside to take obsessive photos of the lichens or flowers that grace our front porch.

Each day, around 1, we’ve gotten up and drove to Eastsound, a town of about 20 shops on the other side of the island to grab lunch, pick up some provisions, and download the NY Times to my phone and let Peter check his work email. We are blissfully without cell or internet service.

No comments: