Monday, September 28, 2009

My "Day Off"

I took today off in an attempt to get some stuff done around the house. But I have a major meeting that I'm organizing tomorrow which meant that I spent most of the day tethered to my computer frantically trying to coordinate things even though the entire office was out.

I went to Ikea to measure their bathroom vanities. Oddly enough they have 15 huge ones and 2 tiny ones. You'd think that a place dedicated to apartment living would have a few more. I was really good though and didn't buy anything. Including their lovely wooden blinds because I can't find the size that I need. This would be a perfect item to be able to order off their website but nope, they don't have that available on line.

I stopped at Fairway to get some grocery shopping done but got seduced by the lobster rolls and beautiful weather out back. I enjoyed my lobster roll but totally forgot to get groceries.

One my way home I decided to stop by the Chelsea Garden Center to see what fall plants they had out. I usually shop at the lesbian overpriced organic small selection shop in Gowanus but thought I'd check it out. I had always avoided it because 1) It looked expensive 2) It was named after a place in Manhattan which guaranteed it to be expensive. Not surprising, it was in no way or shape expensive and the owner was very helpful with my microclimate window boxes and neighborhood vandals.

I should admit something. Everything is dead. All my window boxes, all my pots, everything died over the vacation. I had a few boxes down stairs that survived the heat and vandals (damn you kids!) and it was a bit embarrassing and I needed a refresh right quick. So the downstairs stoop got almost all new plants and two of my window boxes got a thorough reboot. I'm moving the downstairs boxes that are hanging on the railing up to our floor (someone just keeps walking by, pulling out plants and putting them back down).







One of these is obviously a "before" picture. Can you guess which one?

No comments: