Monday, March 15, 2010

First Gardening of the Season

I'm sure if I looked back I would see that every mid-March I just in the car and head down to the nursery and prematurely buy some plants. I just can't help myself! Most everything was closed so I ended up at the horrible big box store down the street and got some pansies and a small azalea bush. When I got home I cleaned out the tree bed, pulled the old decorative cabbages and trimmed back the surviving plants.

In spite of the large amounts of trash, dog poop, and lord knows what in the tree bed, the bulbs were beginning to push through, the vinca had survived and the ground was crawling with worms. I really need to get in there with a rake and pull out all the leaves before I decide what to plant. It will take a while to get a tree from the City and I'd love to do something interesting either with tall grasses and other plants. The easiest thing would be to buy some small bushes but that isn't terribly interesting.

I'm starting to formulate a plan for my window boxes. My succulents continue to do well so I want to put more of them in my front full sun, full wind, and zero rain window boxes. I'm also going to start some lettuces and herbs in doors. Last year's indoor starts were a complete failure so this year I'm trying a different approach. I'll post some pics when I get it set up.

All in all, I'm very excited for my first dirt manicure of the season.

No comments: