Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Who Are You and What do you Eat?

I was just reading through the OLS entries for this week and everytime I read about someone's zero mile meal I got a bit jealous. I thought to myself "It must be so much easier for people with large back yards or even farms!" It took me a few minutes to realize how silly that statement was, how much easier could it get for someone in my position? If I want local products I get in my car and drive to fairway or walk down the block. I don't have to grow, milk, breed, or haul anything anywhere.

I had mentioned early on that I wanted to lay out some curriculum ideas for OLS and this is going to be my starting point: Start any lesson with any child with where they live and what they experience everyday. Start with who they are and how they nourish themselves and you can bring them on any science journey they want. So let's start with the question "Who are you and what do you eat?"

No comments: