Wednesday, June 18, 2008

More Pictures from the "Garden"


My latest addition, the chive plant lives inside for now. I'm always hesitant to put a new plant outside because of the wind and the sun. I get anxious for a few days and then convince myself that gardening is a big experiment and I need to find plants that can withstand the local growing conditions (ha!). The chive plant is very perky and is flowering so I'm keeping it indoors not for its own safety but because its really pretty.

Our first tomato has come really early from the patio tomatoes I put in in May. My three plants have shot up and are doing well. While the flowers have bloomed and are falling off, this one little guy is almost ready to pick. We don't get many bees or other pollinators so I'm not sure if any of my veggies have been pollinated? If not, I'll hand pollinate them , Mendel-style, next year.

It took me a while to figure out the mint which is funny since its usually seems weed-like when ever I've grown it normally. It originally went outside with everything else and then was blown over and almost died. It was pretty leggy and I didn't pinch the buds off the top. Now that I have, it is getting much more bushy and I think this one will pull through.

Its been a really rough few weeks here in Brooklyn, probably the most challenging of my life, but I take some comfort in my small little garden and knowing that the combination of dumb luck and trial and error has led to a pretty healthy looking set of plants.

No comments: